Man i have been slow on the posting lately...better late than never I guess! February was not a healthy month for us. The beginning we were dealing with a stomach bug, now Ethan had a cold and Owen had Roseola.
Yep, Roseola...when we found out what it was I thought to myself, "do kids really get this still."
2 weeks ago, Daddy stayed home with Owen on Friday after he woke up with a fever of 103. No biggy, we gave him some tylenol which seemed to help and he slept a lot. When I got home from work he was napping and I checked on him and he seemed fine. About a half hour later he woke up and we noticed his fingers and lips seemed blue. As we were checking him out we noticed the skin on his legs looked a little funny and he began to shiver. I am not a parent that likes to run kids to the doctor with every sniffle, however I knew he need to be seen. So we headed to Urgent Care (since it was after clinic hours) and waited....
Owen actually seemed to perk up when we got there, but we decided to have him seen anyways. In triage they were checking his oxygen levels and the monitored started alarming....his heart rate was in the 170's-180's (normal for his age is 90-150 bpm), so they brought us back right away (cue the mommy fears!) and sure enough that is what his heart rates were. Before we left we had a chest x-ray and Owen was looked over, all was fine and we were going to follow-up on Tuesday with our pediatrician.
Over the weekend I noticed the blue fingers and lips, but he was breathing fine. And when Owen woke up Tuesday morning he was covered in a rash....hence the Roseola diagnosis. It seems Owen is ultra sensitive to fevers and his heart rate elevates to the point that his capillaries in his extremities clamp down causing the blue appearance. He will probably grow out of it.
We also noticed some swollen gums....more teeth, and he had a bit of a runny nose. So, my poor guy had a lot going on in one weekend. Thankfully Thursday he was feeling much better and my happy boy is back!
Monday, March 7, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment